Tuesday, April 05, 2016

The Results Speak For Themselves

Well hello again.  It's been a while since my last post and I was going through some old files on my computer.  All's well with me and Mrs. Rocket and life is carrying on much as we anticipated it would and our plans for our future continue in the right direction.

Speaking of future plans, I've sporadically made attempts to say hello to everyone's favourite Amway IBO from Edmonton Alberta, Shaun Guthrie.  Remember him?  He had some rather grandiose future plans yet his fired up blogging has since grown cold and dissolved into the nether regions of the internet.

Unfortunately he either isn't getting my emails asking how things are going, or chooses to ignore them.  I suspect it's the latter.

We'd made a wager about 5 years ago that if he got free, he'd be the recipient of a steak dinner with all the trimmings courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood rocket.  He knew I threw this out there as is evidenced by this screen capture:



I emailed him recently as I may be in the Edmonton area and was assuming a steak dinner would be waiting for me since I think I won.  Crickets.  I guess I kinda understand.  He kinda came to live what he stated many times was the wrong lifestyle.  The dreaded Jay-Oh-Bee.  Giving your first best to someone else at a job.  Having kids in daycare instead of being there for them all the time.  Skiing on weekdays instead of on the weekend when it's packed.  

He was going to be free, period.  They were going all in and nothing was going to stop them.  



They listened to the motivation, attended the rallies, and proudly displayed their dreams and goals for all to see.



So what happened?  I dunno.  He has since moved on to a different job in Edmonton and seems to spend his free time woodworking.

I point this out not to be an asshole to Shaun, nor to make him out to be a failure because I don't believe that to be true.  Au Contraire, he seems to be living a decent life with his family and working hard at it.  He's managed to get himself an I.T. Director Job and is working for a living like the rest of us.  My only point here is that I doubt he would be considered a failure by anyone.  Yet that's how Amway IBO's characterize people who don't make it, or aren't free.

So what was gained by his experience?  I don't know.  I wish I did.  Anyway, just seeing how it all turned out for him reminds me of all the people who come and go in Amway.  good people with good intentions that get caught up in this nonsense that instills the belief that what he has now is somehow wrong because it isn't Amway.  

It doesn't make me mad anymore, it makes me sad for people who aren't necessarily being led by people with their best interest at heart.

I guess it just reminds me of myself a long time ago when I was less worldly and more trusting than I am now.  When I would believe nonsense like this:

   

Anyway.  That's it.  Thanks for popping by.  This isn't really my thing anymore.  Got my career and family to focus on and I am looking forward to retirement relatively soon and then moving on to my other interests.  I might say hey from time to time, but I'm not really feeling this anymore.

Partly because what this type of thing does to good people isn't why they joined, and I think it's easier to know now before getting involved thanks to the internet.  The results are predictable and incredibly discouraging, especially when you already know the outcome for these good people that want to believe.

I'll see ya when I see ya.  

Be Excellent.




11 Comments:

Blogger Dave Robison said...

My Friend Rocket!

I won't say "How the hell are ya?" cause you just wrote you are doing just fine.

Sorry the blog isn't your thing anymore, but you know, you can always re-purpose it to "rant" about other things, new things. I'd still stop by, as I just did.

Stay in touch!

Dave

07 April, 2016 02:40  
Blogger Joecool said...

Good to hear that Mr. and Mrs. Rocket are doing well! Yes, I remember Shaun very well and I recall a lot of his blog. I distinctly recall him parroting all of the same old WWDB teaching I heard as an IBO about 20 years ago now. That Amway/WWDB saves marriages and that Amway/WWDB IBOs have a 2% divorce rate and that they will all buy homes in cash. But fast forward to now....

Looks like Shaun is doing just fine and I wish him well. But its scary to think that Amway folks would consider him a failure and would also blame him for no longer being in Amway. We will probably never know, but I honestly would like to know what finally made him decide to stop building the business?

08 April, 2016 16:08  
Blogger Joecool said...

Glad to see Dave Robison going strong too! Dave, are you still blogging?

08 April, 2016 18:17  
Blogger Dave Robison said...

Yes sir, I re-vamped, re-designed my blog last year and opened it back up May, 2015. Still trying to find that "non-MLM" angle to get my readership back, but hey, I write to write.

Taught myself a lot of CSS for the site rebuild and heavily modified a WordPress theme. Come by and take a look.

10 April, 2016 15:38  
Blogger Dave Robison said...

Not trying to shamelessly promote my blog at your blog, but thought you might be interested that I mention the old Quixtar Blog in my new blog entry, and you can still access most of Qblog through the Wayback Machine.

But I recently entered in my March Perceptions and Guest blogging articles from Qblog back into the 2006 timeline at my blog, along with some other Director's Cut entries.

Feel free to take a look.

http://www.ontheroadwithdave.com/2016/04/otrwd-the-directors-cut.html

16 April, 2016 21:30  
Blogger Joecool said...

Thanks Dave. Took a look at your blog and the Qblog archive. Good stuff!

18 April, 2016 00:16  
Blogger Dave Robison said...

Rocket,

I's been awhile, I hope you see this. If you remember my old "PR Guy" character, I brought him back for the November elections.

http://www.ontheroadwithdave.com/2016/10/d-robison-pr-guy-the-return.html

19 October, 2016 00:22  
Blogger Dave Robison said...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-hotel-falling-death-20171017-story.html

Eric Jannsen died yesterday. :( You should get a Facebook account

18 October, 2017 15:24  
Blogger Dave Robison said...

http://www.ontheroadwithdave.com/2018/01/this-is-a-pyramid-scheme.html

Eric would have loved this episode.

31 January, 2018 00:01  
Anonymous Linda said...

keep up the good work, Great post, thanks for sharing,

15 July, 2019 15:37  
Blogger Tex said...

Rocket, you're an idiot. LOL

15 April, 2020 21:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home