Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Twenty some odd questions

I have been conversing with a former IBO who from this point on will be referred to as "Chris". Chris was more than happy to share some information about the business with me, and has graciously agreed to answer a few of the many questions I have wanted to ask a current or ex IBO for some time. These questions were too numerous for one post, so the interview will be conducted over several posts.

I certainly hope you enjoy reading Chris's responses as much as I have.

I have made a few changes in order to protect Chris's anonymity, as Chris continues to associate with people that were and are still involved in the Amway business, and doesn't wish to jeopardize those relationships.

Chris was an IBO for 10 years, and achieved the level of 4000, much like Joecool. Funnily enough, Chris and Joecool have both achieved higher levels than Tex has. But I digress...

Chris was formerly employed in a professional setting and was responsible for over 50 employees, as well as managed a multi million dollar budget every year. Chris has traveled the world, and is no stranger to dealing with people.

Chris decided it was time for a change, and was open to options when approached about the business. It should be noted that Chris had become dissatisfied with some of the bureaucracies which surrounded Chris's employment. The job seemed to be continuing along with what was perceived to be the wrong path, in Chris's view.

Needless to say, Chris was open to options, and was looking for a change.

1. How were you contacted, and did you know your sponsor prior?

This was during a vulnerable time in my life. I was laid off in 1995 after I refused an offered upper level management position and was searching for an ideal job/small business. I’d had it with deceptive people, government and a disastrous money focused industry. That summer I voraciously read success-based, positive, human behavior, personal development books/articles.

I was actually contacted twice. The first time was by a paramedic based at a local hospital. I didn’t understand what he was saying and was not interested.

The second time was a couple of months later. I was contacted by telephone by a professional couple I knew well & respected. She had been a subordinate of mine at work. They asked if I would be home later that evening because they’d love to come for coffee.

They arrived dressed in business attire which surprised me. We sat at the kitchen table and after the usual small talk and some talk about work, the husband of the couple started asking some questions that led to “drawing the circles”. They didn’t tell me it was Amway until the end of his presentation. It meant nothing to me other than I’d seen some Amway catalogues at work that some of my fellow workers had left on the table in the cafeteria.

I did not have a negative association with Amway. However, 2 weeks before this couple came, I had written on a sheet of paper my future short, intermediate, and long term goals. I had identified that I wanted to work from home in a small business. I did not want to take out a bank loan, I did not want any employees/I did not want to be a boss, I wanted to hang around honest people who had integrity, a good sense of humor and I wanted to help people.

Well, after I saw “The Plan”, it pretty much had all of that. I didn’t think it cost very much to register and decided “okay let’s give this a shot”. I would have signed up that night but they left some tapes & material to read & said they’d call back in a couple of days. The husband of the couple came 2 days later and I had some questions for him. I had asked if I could do this at my own pace & he assured me this was my business & I could do as I wanted with it. There was an “open” meeting the next night & I was encouraged to go “to get a bigger picture.” I went. The meeting was led by a funny little guy from (Name of Town removed) who made a complete mess of the plan but said he was very successful and I thought, “Good grief, if he can be successful, this should be a piece of cake!”

2. How long were you in?

1995 – 2005. Active from 1995 to 2004. I simply didn’t renew at the end of 2004.

3. What level did you attain?

4000 PV

4. What was (were) your biggest hurdle(s) as you tried to build your business?

Keeping people in. Building depth. I could not make the 6-4-2 or even 9-4-2 work. Most of the time I was wide but not deep. At about the 5th year, I realized I was just spinning my wheels. I would not lie to people & I would not pressure them.

Staying plugged in to the system. Attending all the meetings, rallies/seminars/major functions (including FED that was a 36 hour bus ride away)/upline meetings/social gatherings (summer picnics & Christmas product clinics that ended up as an opportunity for the upline emerald to talk to not with us). Finding enough money to pay for all of this and make my 100 PV per month that later went to 300 PV per month to qualify for the “300 Club”. Finding enough money to pay for my regular bills & maintain my house. Dealing with a maxed out credit card. Adjusting to missing family gatherings, friends’ milestone celebrations. No free time whatsoever to just “be” once in a while. And most importantly, coming to grips with not being profitable. There was simply way too much work for next to nothing in return.

5. What was said by your leaders about the internet?

Avoid it. “Garbage in, garbage out.” It was mentioned there was a lot of garbage & lies on the internet about the business. We were told not to waste our time on the internet other than going to the Quixtar and (Name of Organization removed) sites. Instead, we should listen to a tape or read from one of the recommended books.

Next Post.....Some more Q&A with Chris

Stay Tuned........

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Rocket. I get the clear impression that Chris really went into the Q* thing as a business and treated it as such, so he was able to walk away when it was time. I hope you ask him questions regarding the tools. I'd like to hear if he was torn about quitting and becoming a failure as they teach. All IBO's should treat their IBOship like it seems Chris has.

31 January, 2008 12:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see parallels to my own story. I was not laid off, but I was certainly looking for something to do on the side to make a few extra bucks.

And yes, it is hard to quit after a certain point because you are trained that Q is your only hope and that only failure quit.

31 January, 2008 14:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home